DESIGNS IN THE PINES
This retreat is open to ALL TYPES OF CRAFTERS and is designed by YOU! Bring a project and work on it the whole time, or take advantage of our workshops and learn something new.
Join us at U.P. Bible Camp's Retreat & Conference Center in Little Lake, MI. We'll begin with snacks on Thursday evening, Sept. 6 and conclude after breakfast on Sunday, Sept. 9. Registration will be open from 3:00 - 7:00 pm on Thursday (dinner that night is on your own). For those that are unable to attend for the entire weekend, day rates are also available.
Bedding, towels, and pillows are provided. We guarantee a comfy, cozy stay for you and your friends. You can also be assured that we will keep you well fed!
DATES & RATES
September 6-9, 2018
Weekend Rate: $130 (due at check-in on Sept 6), $20 Registration Fee
Day Rate: $60, Includes 2 meals and a snack
FREE TIME ACTIVITES
- Your own project!
- Quick Craft Table – Twine Angel or beaded key chain
- Friday: Riflery. Note: Camp will provide rifles but you are welcome to bring your own hand gun if desired.
- Saturday: Leathercraft Earrings
- Saturday: Acrylic Pour class participants (only) can turn their masterpieces into their chosen project (card, book cover, etc.)
You're certainly welcome to spend the entire weekend working on your own project. For those looking for variety or to learn something new, however, we offer workshops free of charge.
When you register, please indicate which workshop(s) you will be attending, as each one has a limited number of seats available.
- AM Friday: Paint Pouring
- PM Friday: Sewing or Crochet (Patterns will be available for both projects)
- AM Saturday: Pallet Sign Painting
- PM Saturday: Ornament Making
Acrylic Paint Pouring (Friday Morning)
- Instructor: Judy Parlato
- Class Description: Crafters will learn a new way to use acrylic paints. We will design several compositions and then use them for making cards, book covers, or bookmarks. This is a 2-day project, allowing the paints to completely dry before making the cards, etc.
- Supplies Needed: Supplies will be provided for the craft but it is suggested you bring a paint shirt. If you have specific colors you wish to use from your own collection, feel free to bring them.
Pillow Case Sewing (Friday Afternoon)
- Instructor: Teresa Locknane
- Class Description: Learn how to make this quick and easy pillowcase using the “hot dog” method. Personalize it by using novelty fabric to make a fun gift for that special camper, or to coordinate with your favorite bedspread or use it as a fun “gift bag” for that difficult to wrap gift.
- Supplies Needed: Complete supply list will be provided upon sign-up.
Crocheting (Beginner friendly!) (Friday Afternoon)
- Instructor: Melissa Palomares
- Class Description: Each participant will create a soft cotton face scrubbie (these can replace the disposable cotton pads used for makeup removing!) and a netted version you can safely use to clean pots and pans, vegetables, or even your bathroom shower! The stiches are easy enough for a beginner.
- Supplies Needed: Everyone will need a size K (10.5mm) and size E (3.5mm) crochet hook, 1 ball of kitchen cotton (some brands are Sugar and Cream, Peaches and Cream, premier home cotton), and 1 yard of netting.
Pallet Sign Painting (Saturday Morning)
- Instructor: Tami Westman
- Class Description: We will be painting a "last name sign." You need to give the name you want to do when you register so the stencil can be made beforehand. The wood used is all different so there will be variation in color, age and look of each sign.
- Supplies Needed: Tami will provide the materials; board sign, paint, brushes and stencils. You provide the desire, name, patience and paint shirt if wanted.
Ornament Making (Saturday Afternoon)
- Instructor: Amy Wozniak
- Class Description: Each participant will be making 3 different ornament We will be utilizing an assortment of mediums ranging from scrapbook paper to wood/birchbark.
- Supplies Needed: All supplies will be provided.